92nd Air Refueling Squadron
The 92nd Air Refueling Squadron was constituted as the 2nd Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) on 20 November 1940. It was activated on 15 January 1941 at March Field, CA, and assigned to General Headquarters Air Force (attached to 30th Bombardment Group). The unit was reassigned to the 3d Bomber Command (remained attached to the 30th Bombardment Group), on 4 September 1941.
Relocating to Hammer Field, CA, on 27 February 1942, with a detachment operating from San Diego, CA, from 10 April to 11 May, the squadron was redesignated 392nd Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 22 April 1942 and reassigned to the 30th Bombardment Group. The squadron later relocated to March Field, CA, on 15 July 1942. That same year, the squadron transitioned to the LB-30. The unit was redesignated as the 392nd Bombardment Squadron, Heavy, on 5 May 1943 and transistionned to the B-24 aircraft.
During the course of World War II, the 392nd BS, Heavy, deployed to Barking Sands, TH (20 October 1943); Canton Island (10 November 1943); Abemama (10 January 1944); Kwajalein (17 March 1944); Saipan (4 August 1944); Kipapa, TH (18 March 1945); and Kahuku Field, TH, on 29 September. Missions with which the squadron was tasked were: Antisubmarine patrols off the west coast (January 1942– July 1943); replacement training (June 1942– July 1943); and combat in Central and Western Pacific (22 November 1943–19 February 1945). The squadron inactivated on 30 November 1945.
The squadron was consolidated, on 19 September 1985, with 92nd Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy, which was constituted on 12 February 1957 and activated on 1 July 1957, at Bergstrom AFB, TX, as part of the 92nd Bombardment (later, 92nd Strategic Aerospace; 92nd Bombardment) Wing, though briefly attached to Second Air Force, from 1 July–13 September 1957, and flying the KB-29 aircraft.
The squadron relocated to Fairchild AFB, WA, on 14 September 1957. That same year, the squadron converted to the KB–29, and in 1958, to the KC-135.
The squadron provided worldwide air refueling, starting in 1959. The 92nd also furnished tankers and crews to support combat in Southeast Asia, from 1965–1975 and in Southwest Asia, from 15 August 1990–15 April 1991.
That consolidated squadron was reassigned on 1 September 1991, to the 92nd Operations Group, at which time it was redesignated as the 92nd Air Refueling Squadron. The 92nd ARS was reassigned to the 453d Operations Group, on 1 June 1992 and back to the 92nd Air Refueling Wing's Operations Group, on 1 July 1994.